Monday, August 25, 2008

I chanced to discover an old memory.

As I have mentioned here before, I like to read. And I love browsing the shelves of used bookstores -- I have found many gems at bargain prices, like complete hardcover set of Winston Churchill's history of the Second World War for $10.

One bonus is that sometimes -- especially with older hardcovers -- one comes across all sorts of interesting bits of paper stuck in between the pages. I have yet to find a blank cashiers check or cash or a bearer bond, but I have found things like an old computer punch card bill from an oil company (Esso, if I recall correctly), inspirational and sad and cryptic inscriptions from fathers to sons, wives to husbands, or from one friend to another, marking some gift-giving occasion or life moment.

Anyway, as I was coming back from lunch today, I saw that the local library was having a book sale, and so I stopped in. No great discoveries, but I picked up a few books that looked interesting. About 10 pages into one of them (I love Stanley Bing's "Esquire" and "Fortune" columns), I saw the original receipt from the bookstore in Austin where it was originally purchased in February 1999. In addition to Bing, our buyer bought a $4.00 newspaper (I know!) and "52 Invitations to Grrrrrreat Sex."

Setting aside Tony the Tiger allusions, I note that our buyer paid cash. Hmmm. Perhaps because this was just after the Clinton broo-ha-ha in which Ken Starr subpoenaed two bookstores to see what books Monica Lewinsky bought (reportedly because they thought that she gave Bill a copy of "Vox," a book about phone sex)? Perhaps.

Anyway, seeing the receipt amused me. Carry on.

No comments: