Friday, September 5, 2008

I used to rule my world from a pay phone.

Now I deal with conference calls ruling my world. Here I sit, trying to coordinate common ground with a bunch of other lawyers who all are sorta on the same side. But lawyers all like to hear themselves talk, and so everyone has to put their two cents in, and I am pulling my hair out in frustration.

That's another thing that the popular vision of the lawyer (thanks, Perry and Ally and Denny!) doesn't seem to address. We don't have a trial every day; no, we sit at our desks, sipping coffee while disembodied voices argue over the speakerphone. Surfing the web, updating our blogs. Interjecting reluctantly (at least one lawyer) and only when absolutely necessary (because we don't want the damn call to last any longer than absolutely necessary).

Another coffee? I think I need it, thanks.

No comments: