Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday night and the lights are low.

So, everyone's favorite Raoul Duke wannabe, my imaginary pal Philalawyer, has confessed to a love for Abba. And that made me realize that we all have a band or song that we like, or even a genre of music, that we don't necessarily advertise to the world. PL, who loves to drone on and on about the Stones or (God help him) the Dead, gets a secret thrill when he hears even the Muzak version of "Fernando." It's cool.

My secret musical vice? Well, I do love me the chick singer-songwriters -- preferably the ones with predominantly lesbian fan bases. But that's not really a secret, now that I think about it. So, I'd have to admit that I love pop music from the 1970s. Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy." "Popcorn." "Billy, Don't Be A Hero." "Run, Joey, Run." "The Night Chicago Died." This secret musical vice is one of the reasons why I enjoy the new CBS series "Swingtown." (Well, that and Grant Show's mustache, of course.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's getting close to midnight at the oasis, and I've got to sing my camel to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.