Thursday, April 1, 2010

And tell me what street compares to Mott Street.

As my regular readers (hi Mom!) know, I am a fan of the Manhattan -- that delightful synergy of whiskey (I use bourbon), sweet vermouth, and bitters. The ratio varies, but I am in the 3 (whiskey) to 1 (vermouth) camp. But, my friends, it is not a Manhattan without bitters. A dash or two makes all the difference in the world.

And there has been, as some of you may know, a problem with getting bitters. I an out last month, and was reduced to drinking bitter-less mixtures of chilled bourbon and sweet vermouth.

Until today. I have been looking for months and low and behold! I found a bottle at a local market. I am, as we speak, savoring the glow of a real Manhattan. I'll take Manhattan, indeed.

1 comment:

Sous Chef said...

I had always been of the impression that it was the addition of bitters (and an orange slice) that separated the old fashioned from the manhattan. Not to disparage the old fashioned. I just didn't think it was virtually indentical to a manhattan