Saturday, January 12, 2008

Reading is fundamental

I like to read. In fact, one could say that I like to read too much -- I use books as an escape from real life and responsibilities, and find myself much more wrapped up in the problems of fictional people (or dead people -- I like history and biography) than is probably healthy for a non-trust fund baby with a taste for upper middle class comforts.

Anyway, what has Jackson been reading lately? Currently, it's Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography.

I have been a huge fan of Peanuts my entire life. I can't remember not reading it, and I used to spend my allowance on paperback collections. One of my favorite presents as a lad was a hard-cover collection, and I read and re-read it constantly.

Why? Who knows? I think that Charlie Brown spoke to me in a way. Filled with self-doubt about some things, with optimism about others, a fan of the underdog (who can forget his favorite baseball player, Joe Shlabotnik?), usually kind -- we could all do worse than modeling ourselves on the round-headed kid.

No comments: